Part-time Reception Teacher/Acting Deputy Headteacher- Mrs T Beynon
Reception Teacher- Miss F Jamal
Part-time Reception Teacher- Miss Thomas Part-time Reception Teacher- Mrs V Jones
Teaching Assistant- Mrs N Saunders Teaching Assistant- Mrs A Jenkins
Teaching Assistant- Mrs S Jones
The entrance and exit for families to our Reception Class is located off Llangyfelach Road and is referred to as the West Site (same side as the Co-op). Please phone 01792 483870 option 3 for access to staff and children, during school hours.
Daily Start and Finish times - 8:50-3:15
P.E kit needed on a Thursday.
- We have a healthy snack time each day when children can eat fruit and drink milk or water. Families send 2 pieces of fruit to school with their children on Monday and this is then washed and distributed at relevant break points each day.
- For health and safety, children should be brought to school by families with appropriate clothing including waterproof coats with hoods on days when it might rain, warm coats when it could be cold, sunhats, sunglasses and sun-screen on days when it is particularly sunny and footwear that is suitable for wearing both in and out of doors.
- We run the Daily Mile on most days (not quite a whole mile though!) this encourages the children to be mindful of their own fitness. Please ensure that appropriate footwear is worn that allows this.
- Our classrooms have an inside/outside policy which means that children will chose which area they want to access. Children will be outdoors in all weather so please feel free to leave a pair of wellies in school and different waterproofs that the children can then access if they so chose to.
- Sound books need to be returned to school every Wednesday. Your child will then have 1:1 practise with a member of staff to practise their sound recognition and formation. We follow the Jolly Phonics scheme for sound recognition. Many of the songs can be found on YouTube. If the staff member feels your child is ready to move onto a new sound, this will be recorded in the Sound Book. This book will then be returned to you on Tuesday for you to carry on practising at home. It is so important to your child's progress that you practise the sound recognition and formation at home, as well as at school.
- We introduce print formation initially in Reception and when we feel your child is ready we will move them on the use cursive script in preparation for year 1, we call it 'school handwriting.'
We work hard in Brynhyfryd Primary School to try and ensure the highest levels of child wellbeing, health and safety. In order to work in partnership with us we would ask that you phone the school office if your child is unable to attend school. We will only allow your child be collected by nominated adults. If there is any change to this, please phone the school office to inform staff members of this child as we will not let your child leave with another adult without consent first.
- Practise letter sounds (ask staff for sounds of letters as they are taught in school)
- Practise letter names (use the alphabet song if you'd like but don't forget to use the British English 'z' instead of the American English 'z')
- Practise counting objects (1-20)
- Practise counting forwards and backwards (1-20) and from different starting points
- Practise helping your child to spot their left and their right!
- Practise writing your child's name and identfying the sounds in it.
- Help your child to become independent dressing/changing clothes/going to the toilet/using zips, buttons, velcro and poppers
- Encourage your child to 'have-a-go' and gain confidence speaking in front of others
- Meet your child's teacher and attend parent-teacher meetings. Keep in touch with your child's teacher, through Class Dojo platform.
- Ensure there are clear boundaries for your child's behaviour at home. Help them to know what you expect of them and what is acceptable or not in different places at different times.
- Help us make sure that your child and that they are loved and safe both with you and in school.